Sunday, August 3, 2008

Checking in

I have a non-profit organization that helps Russian orphans. This summer we hosted 5 girls and 2 teachers here in America for one month, in the hope that it would not only bring them some joy, but also let them see some of the opportunities life has to offer. They were here for all of June, and it was extremely fun. I've been trying to load photos onto this site, but with no luck for some reason; as soon as I figure it out, I'll put some on. In July, I organized a trip to Sovetsk, Russia, in the Kaliningrad region, and 6 of us visited the orphanage for a week. This is my 4th year organizing these visits, and it has been a pretty incredible experience every time. This year we chose 4 kids who are going on to vocational school and need financial assistance, and I'm seeking sponsors for them. That has been my mission all along, to help these kids get a good enough education that they can be productive members of society, instead of turning to crime, drugs, and prostitution as most of them do. We'll see if it works.



I had plenty of time to read while I was flying or riding on the train, and I finally finished Roger Ebert's Awake in the Dark. My favorite section was the essays and think pieces, particularly "Why I Love Black and White" and "The Case for an A Rating." Roger Ebert is great because he loves movies. He just wants everyone to share his enthusiasm. Now I have a list of about 50 movies I want to see.



I also read Billy Crystal's 700 Sundays, a fast, easy, read, very enjoyable, and am halfway through Clapton: The Autobiography. He has some amazing stories, mostly involving drugs or women or both, and he talks a lot about the musicians who influenced him and those he played with. So now I have a music list to go with my movie list.

No comments: